Friday, January 06, 2006

The understudy takes the stage

(as reported by The Alien)

In honor of Matchbox Kenny who took the karaoke kontrols last night in KG's absence, Chris has asked me to relay the "events" of last night. I think he felt too close to the action to report objectively. Hopefully the photos will make it to the feed. I think Chris may have made some new friends...

Where to start? KG was out, Ladies Who Love Ladies were in, and someone changed the lightbulbs to 1,000 watts. I felt like I was back in Gitmo.


It was a night of song thievery - some newcomer did an okay version of Bust a Move. We all had to hold Rhonda back. She wanted to mess her up. Also, Folsom Prison Blues was taken before Chris and I even opened the book. I guess it's the Joaquin the Line effect - now everybody's a JC fan.

The real news was Mr. Frye's impromptu trio. Half-Pint, Dutch Boy, and Full-Pint - three guy painters - were new to the scene, but immediately at-home. American Girl brought HP and DB to the stage, sharing the microphone with Fearless Frye. It felt a bit like Brokeback Mountain. I think I heard one of them say, "I just can't quit ya," but I'm not entirely sure.

Jimmy provided a Marie update and more. Apparently she's cured of the hepatitis, but hasn't secured a letter of wellness from her doctor yet. No letter = no entry. So Karol has been spending some time with her. Apparently Marie has been coming to Karol's since Karol was a young girl. Ah, generations. Jimmy also shared that he's been working at Karol's for quite a while - 33 years to be precise. That's a career!

Tight rotation - lots of good songs. Chris will have to provide the lineup - I barely remember what I sang.

THE LINE UP
The Alien: CITY OF NEW ORLEANS (openner for the TRIBUTE TO THE CRESENT CITY tribute)
Mr Brett: HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN (closer for the TRIBUTE TO THE CRESENT CITY tribute)
Rhonda: (chose to sit this one out)
Joe: (chose to sit this out)
Lisap: DREAMING, HELP!
Chris: THE TIMES THEY ARE A CHANGIN', AMERICAN GIRL (performed as an intimate duet with Half Pint with Dutch Boy Supervising)
Bookmark and share bookmark and share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home